Faulty wiring in a pool may be to blame for the electrocution death of a Palm Springs man and serious injuries to his daughter on Easter Sunday. Investigations are ongoing, but it appears that the girl, a nine-year-old, was injured first, and then her 43-year-old father jumped into the pool to save her. Reports indicate that he may have been aware of the cause of her injuries before he jumped in the pool and suffered a fatal shock.
While others were in the pool at the time of the electrocution, they were not as close to the electrical source and their injuries were less severe. One woman and four additional children were brought to a local hospital. While speaking to investigators, these victims described feeling a tingling sensation in the water at the time of the incident.
Faulty wiring can present severe hazards, especially when mixed with water. For those purchasing new homes or living in older homes, it is a good idea to have wiring inspected by a licensed electrician. Devices such as ground-fault circuit interrupter outlets are a cheap and fairly effective method of preventing shocks to humans. These switches, which are commonly found in bathrooms, kitchens and other places near water sources, can shut down power in as fast as one-thirtieth of a second when they sense a change in current.
This incident took place at a vacation home owned by the family; however, many swimming injuries occur on property owned by others. In some instances, homeowners are held liable for the injuries of those swimming on their property, particularly when they are harmed by a dangerous condition that the homeowner knew or should have known about.
If someone close to you has died in an accident on the property or premises of another person or party, it’s important that you take action to seek justice on their behalf. Speak with the San Diego wrongful death lawyers at Thorsnes Bartolotta McGuire for more information about your legal options in pool accident cases.